Essential Question: War, What is it Good For?
Sub Questions: What are the costs and benefits of the Civil War?
Summative Assignment: Answer the essential question above using the symbolism developed in class over the course of the unit. Your visual should clearly convey your opinion on whether the Civil War was a net benefit or cost to the nation.
Introduction to War
1. Abraham Lincoln - From Election to Inauguration
- Created with Haiku Deck, the free presentation app
- Guided Group Work
- Map of States and their Dates of Secession
2. Strategies of War
3. West Point and Leaders of Men
4. Abraham Lincoln and the Border States
- Use the readings contained within to answer the 15 questions in your notebook. Don't forget to create a visual at the end with a cost and a benefit for the nation from this activity.
1. Weapons Technology of War
Gatling Gun Video
2. LOSS OF LIFE
Follow Presentation and Packet Work to determine the effects of casualties upon the nation during the Civil War.
3. GETTING TO KNOW YOU...CIVIL WAR SOLDIER EDITION
Use the images of soldiers, the love letters, and directions to get to know a civil war soldier on a deeper more personal level.
4. Emancipation Proclamation
Use the video, primary source document and summary of the Emancipation Proclamation to learn more about this key document of the Civil War.
- Take notes from the following three sources on what the Emancipation Proclamation did and what it didn't do.
- Fill out a table of costs and benefits for the Emancipation Proclamation based on everything you learn from the video, document and summary.
- Create two symbols to represent the Emancipation Proclamation's role in the Civil War.
Click HERE to see the video of it doesn't appear above.
5. Gettysburg Address
Students answer in your notebook the items highlighted in GREEN.
What happened at the battle of Gettysburg?
- Gettysburg 360 - Battlefield Virtual Tour
- Gettysburg - Animated Map
- Written Summary, Infographic of Battle at Gettysburg
- Ten Facts About the Battle at Gettysburg
What Document does Lincoln emphasize as important for directing our nation forward?
What is the significance of the Gettysburg Address as part of the war?
Watch an animated portrayal below of the Gettysburg Address. Does the animation add to the meaning of the address or not? Give evidence of three visuals you feel help improve the message of the Gettysburg Address.